Saturday, July 19, 2008

Almost a Blogger Dropout

Have you guessed that we have been much busier lately? Now that we are working in the office, I don't have quite as much time to lounge about and post blogs. That is part of the reason I haven't had time to blog. But I have a confession. I just thought of another reason why I'm not doing very many posts. We paid to get our Dish TV running a few weeks ago. After a hectic day at the mission office, sitting and watching a little Hallmark channel, CNN, or BBC World seems like a pretty good idea. The real reason I wanted to get back into TV viewing was to watch Wimbledon! I figured since we are about the same time zone as England, I would get to see some matches on ESPN. Boy was I bummed out to only catch a few brief highlights, long after the matches were completed. Instead of giving up on TV viewing, however, I think instead I will pay for the bigger (more channels) package at the end of the month because the Olympics will be on! Anyway, I hope they will broadcast some of the action here if I have ESPN plus 4 sports channels. If all I still get is poker matches, bowling tournaments and fishing, I will be ticked.

The way they run the Dish TV company is totally different from the way things are done in the U.S. Instead of being locked into a 2 year contract, you pay to get hooked up and they give you a satellite TV controller. It has a slot that holds a plastic card that looks very similar to a credit card. Then, you just take the card to the Dish TV office (very close to our apartment), pay out the cash (4,300 naira), wait about 30 or 40 minutes until the card was reactivated, then pick up the card and go home. The big advantage is that I only pay when I want TV. I actually have some pictures that I need to post, so if you don't mind being patient, I'll get some new things posted very soon.

No comments: