Saturday, May 23, 2009

More Shopping at Alade Market

Sister Jones and I went to Alade Market again Wednesday afternoon. We shopped for fabric and each bought some interesting tie-dye fabric. Then we went out a different way so we could also buy some food. I decided to pass up these cow feet. Maybe if they had a recipe to go with them. I should have asked the price. They don't really like us taking pictures without asking or paying them for the privilege.
Instead I got some tomatoes. These baskets of tomatoes cost 300 naira ($2.00) each. It's fun how they get these to stack so neatly. We see them displayed like this at little stands by the side of the road, but this is the first time that I bought any packaged like this. As I took the top one off, I could see that it was spoiled as were others in the pile. So I wanted to look through and pick the good tomatoes. No Selecting, I was told. Since I had already taken a picture and messed up her display, I decided I'd better buy something. She let me pick another basket. It had about 3 or 4 nice tomatoes and the rest were so-so. I think I will stick with my other produce stand where I can pick and choose the ones I want. I bought a nice cabbage from another vendor. She wanted me to pay 400 naira, which I knew was too much. Brother right jumped in and let her know that was way too much, and she gave it to me for 200 naira. It helps to have an African along.

No comments: