Monday, September 22, 2008

New "DO" from Elder Krupp's Salon

A while back I posted a blog about all the people and things that I miss. I didn't mention how much I miss Tara. It is so nice to go and sit in her beauty salon and get pampered. Since my highlights had all grown out, Tara got all the stuff so I could add highlights here in Africa. She emailed some directions, too. It all seems so simple until you do it yourself for the first time. Of course I couldn't follow the directions totally. Tara suggested that I only pull through hair from every other hole in the cap. She mentioned that I could add more highlights later if I wanted.

It didn't look like all that much that we were pulling through. I didn't think the little hook that came with the cap was big enough, so we used a little bigger one that I brought to crochet around baby blankets with. It worked great. Elder K. said I still had about 80-90% of my hair still in the cap. After the pulling out of clumps of hair came the bleaching part. Elder painted the goop on, we covered it with a plastic "shower" cap, set the timer and Elder used the blow dryer to keep it warm. We could see the color changing right before our eyes. I began to feel a little panicky after about 8 minutes and decided to check it at 10 minutes instead of processing it for 15 minutes. After rinsing the goop out, I realized that it wasn't a very light blonde. But after it was all shampooed, dried and styled, I decided that it was a good thing that I panicked and washed it out early. I think we must have lightened about 60% of my hair. It doesn't look bad at all, as you can see, but I'm afraid it will look bad in 2 months when the dark roots start to show. Anyway, it was a fun adventure and Elder Krupp did a great job, as usual. We will both be happy to get home to Tara, though!

No comments: