Monday, September 1, 2008

Sheep and Goat Trivia

This is a sheep market that is right along the side of a main road. It doesn't appear that there is anything preventing the sheep from making a run for freedom. The sheep are kind of long, lean funny looking creatures. The main reason that they look so different from the sheep I'm used to is that they don't have curly hair. It grows straight like cow hair. I guess the Lord knew they wouldn't be needing wool sweaters in Nigeria.

Brother Bright brought (that could be a tongue twister if you say it fast enough) me some manure back from Ibadan so I could fertilize our little palm trees. He told me it was goat feces. It's been sitting in a bag for at least a month waiting for me to get together some ambition, gloves and a digging tool. Kurt found me a great old trowel that I can use for a spade, so today was my gardening day. I also planted some cherry tomato seeds. I'm anxious to see how well goat feces work for fertilizer. It was mixed in with nice dirt, and I was happy that it wasn't stinky and gross.

While discussing African cuisine with Sister Comfort and Brother Effiong the other day, they were talking about eating goat. It seems that the she goat is not the good stuff - you want the he goat. She said they had the right fat and were very "sweet". I asked if it tasted sweet like sugar, and she laughed and said no that it was just delicious. Then they said that the smell from the he goat was very strong, and that if you put the meat in the boot of your car, it would smell like goat forever. I'm sticking with chicken.

No comments: