Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lekki Market

Lekki is an area on Victoria Island. There are many different markets there, but the Lekki Market we like has all kinds of fun African treasures such as wood carvings, paintings, beads, African clothes & fabric. We call this young mother the Bead Lady. She hand makes her jewelry, and I wish I had gone to her shop before buying necklaces at other shops. I like the two necklaces I bought from her best. The humongous necklaces on the right are what a Chief would wear. They were really interesting and very expensive.
This shop was mostly full of wood carvings. I think I bought some small animals here so he let me take a picture. They do not want pictures taken otherwise, unless you pay them to do it. You can spend lots of money getting carved items, and they look like bad dust collectors. I bought some anyway. Hey, I'm in Africa!

This guy was actually working on a carving and not selling. He was not happy that I snapped his picture. We're not supposed to act like tourists since we are really missionaries. Hard to do since we want to be able to remember all the interesting things we see here. We will probably get to go to Lekki Market one more time before coming home. The merchants expect you to dicker with them over the price. We are getting better at that. You know you have paid too much if they agree to the price you offered quickly. You feel much better about the price if they look really mad at you because you have taken advantage of them. It's a game! I wonder if it will work when I get home to go to Dillards and try to talk them down on price for a pair of shoes. They would probably call Mall Security. I can see I will have some adjustments to make when I get home.

No comments: