Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Yummy Bread


I decided that I would try my hand at bread making - the hard way, with no Bosch mixer. I took my regular recipe that I use in my Bosch and cut it in half, so I would only end up with two loaves of bread. I used a little hand mixer until I had enough flour in, and the dough was getting thick. Then Kurt helped me work in some more flour with a wooden spoon, but it still looked pretty sticky. I didn't want to add too much flour for fear I would end up with "tough" bread. We covered the counter with a layer of flour, dumped out the dough, and I proceeded to knead the sticky mess. I should have had Kurt get the camera to video my kneading job. It was pretty funny, and I would never be invited to demonstrate my bread making skills on TV. I put it in a bowl to raise for a while before making it into the two loaves. After it was baked and cooled sufficiently, we tried it out. Success! It tasted pretty good. Of course warm bread with butter and honey is always good. The texture wasn't as nice as I am used to, but at least it is edible. I don't think it is any cheaper than going to Oasis to buy fresh bread, but now I know that if I can't get to the store for some reason, I can still have bread.

No comments: