Monday, February 16, 2009

Custom-made African Clothes

Most of the African clothes are custom made. There are many fabric shops and also many small seamstress shops. Some of the seamstresses also sell fabric. The seamstress takes measurements, discusses styles, price, etc. You have to pay for most of it before having the garment sewn. Christy's dress is an African print, but a western style dress. Extra fabric is given for a head tie.

Eki's outfit is a more traditional style. The top and skirt are quite fitted, and the skirt flares out at the bottom. This is a pretty conservative style, and I think she looks very pretty in it.
Patience's top has narrow bias trim around the sections of the collar, the sleeves and the lower edge of the top. This fabric is very subdued compared to most of the bright colors worn.

Sister Neuder had a few things made by Francesca Ogege. She is in our Stake Relief Society Presidency. She designs clothing and has several ladies that work for her and help with the sewing. I haven't been to her shop yet, but she has invited us. Sister Lynch also had her sew some things for her. I had her make me a black skirt and a brown skirt. My black skirt that I brought from home to go with my black suit jacket got ruined in the wash somehow. The skirts turned out fairly OK - they are sort of the mermaid look that curves around the hip area and then flairs out near the knees. It's not the best style if your are hip conscious. Of course here in Nigeria, Hips and Rears were meant to be shown off!

Then I also decided to have a new dress made up. I told her I wanted something in red, navy blue or burgundy, and that I like small prints. You know, something that will make me look tall and thin and not call attention to myself. This is what she made for me . . . . . . . . .

Designer Original

One of a Kind

Not likely to be seen in Idaho Falls

or anywhere else in the U.S.A.


OK, so it's not exactly what I had in mind, but all my African friends love my new gown - that is what they call a dress. So I like it - sort of. Then she also made me another outfit - a skirt and top. It's a suiting fabric and not exactly cool and breathable, but wrinkle free. The dress wrinkles, but with the wild fabric who notices!
So this is my African fashion show for now. I have a skirt being made from some fabric I bought in Ghana. It's wild and I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. Hopefully I'll have the courage to post a picture of it when I get it.

No comments: