Sunday, February 8, 2009

Other Reasons to Love Ghana

Sister Woodward, Daniel Yirenya-Tawiah, Kurt, Linda & Tom Rueckert at the beach in Accra. Elder Woodward took the picture for me. We ate dinner at a restaurant called Tribes. It was very nice and I had lasagna, Kurt had a nice salad and Daniel had African food.
This had been a government building at one time. It was illegal to photograph it at one time.
Tropical Paradise
Elder Woodward took us to a market (tourist trap) that had wood carvings, Ghanian fabrics, bags, jewelry, etc. You have to bargain with these guys and they are very persistent. I was looking for some fabric to have a skirt made and chose a batik in aqua, navy and avocado green. The vendor wanted $65 for 6 yards, which doesn't sound outrageous - but is way too high. I told him I only wanted to spend $30 and held firm. The trick is to walk away. He acted somewhat disgusted to have to give it to me for such a low price, but I knew I could live without it. It worked! The next day I was able to go to a small fabric store (Esther's) that had better lighting, no high pressure or bargaining. Her fabrics were $3.5- to $5.00 per yard, and I didn't get stuck with the whole piece of 6 yards. Just to show that I know a good deal, I bought 3 more pieces of fabric!
Kurt is getting hustled to buy some natural scented cream. Looks like they were both having fun.

No comments: