Saturday, December 13, 2008

More Ibadan Zone Conference

The Ibadan Zone

One apartment in the Ibadan zone had black suits to go with their black ties. Kurt and I referred to them as the "men in black" district. The lighting was bad, and I wasn't close enough to get a good picture. These guys enjoy singing together.
The most popular part of zone conference is the lunch afterwards. Sister Angela always cooks for the Ibadan zone conferences. She is married to Bright, the mission driver. She went all out and fixed them many of their favorite African foods. She started with Peppa (pepper) Soup. I wanted to try it. But it is made with goat intestines, and it was more interesting than appetizing to me. I did try the broth, and it was pretty peppery so that was my excuse to give it to one of the Elders who was very happy to get a second bowl. I also ate a little bit of goat meat that was hooked to some bone. Pepper Soup is served as an appetizer.Angela looked pretty festive in her fancy gold head tie. They use these shiny taffeta type fabrics for special occasions.Other food items were pounded yam, a favorite. It is like a stiff ball of mashed potatoes. It is served cold and wrapped in saran wrap. They eat it by taking bite sized pieces and dipping them in a sauce or "soup". It is eaten with their fingers. Their soup is different from our soup. It can be a gravy with fried smoked fish and green vegetable leaf stuff. That is sort of what Egusi soup is. One bite of that was enough for me. I want to try some of their foods, but I'm not really very open-minded. One thing we tried that we liked was the drink. It is the yellow/red bottle, and it is fruit flavored milk. We brought ours home and chilled it before drinking it. It was peach/apple and was almost like a milk shake. Good, but fattening.

No comments: