Sunday, December 21, 2008

More Apartment Photos - The Kitchen & Utility

This is truly a step-saving kitchen. It is small and compact, but has decent storage and work space (if I keep things put away). It is 3 feet wide between the counters, which isn't bad unless both of us are in the kitchen at the same time. It's a little tight when I have the oven door open, or have to find things in the lower cupboards. Oh I do miss my roll out cupboards!
Kurt washes 99.9% of the dishes! Some dummy architect or contractor specified a single sink with drainboard instead of a double sink. Obviously it was someone who had never washed a dish.
We brought our hand-me-down microwave over from the other apt. rather than have the church buy a new one. I'm glad because it is a smaller model and takes up less space. The stove uses propane, but has one electric burner, just in case you run out of gas. Electric is so slow compared to gas!
One of the great features of this new building was to be the filtered water system. It worked for a few weeks, but last week we all had to put on our old water filters, which means we are back to brushing our teeth in the kitchen. I guess that is not too big of an inconvenience in the scheme of things. The counters are a solid surface type material. I had requested a tan counter to match the tow of tan tiles. We were even shown samples to pick from, but then when we went to see how things turned out, we were surprised with black and gray spots. It looks nice, but if there is going to be a bug anywhere, I want to see it, and they are camouflaged on this surface.
The stack washer and dryer are really nice. One thing that is so great is that the dryer is vented to the outside, so it does not get super hot and humid when I am drying clothes like it did in the old apartment where you could see the mold growing on the walls. We brought the old bookshelf over and it just fits great next to the fridge and gives us lots of extra storage space!

No comments: