Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"WARM" Welcome in Lagos

The airport is Lagos is a little different that at home. I suppose the fact that it is a HUGE city creates one obvious difference. The wait for our luggage was at least an hour. Before that, though, we went to a line for new incoming folk like us. They got the blue form that we filled out while on the flight. Then the customs guys got the white form. I had visions of them checking out our suitcases and thinking we were drug smugglers because of all the vitamins we brought. They didn't even open a thing. I'm not sure if it was the missionary name tags that we wear, or if they just don't care if people smuggle in drugs. All our things arrived safely. Did I mention that Kurt had to pay over $250.00 in SLC because we had two bags that were overweight. I thought it would cost us $50.00 per bag, but I was sure wrong about that! I was very relieved to see our Mission President and his wife waiting for us just outside the terminal. Our mission has a driver to drive the big white mission van around when missionaries get transferred or need to get to zone conferences, etc. There doesn't seem to be very reliable public transportation here. Driving is a pretty crazy experience, and I am going to be in the co-pilot seat only. We have a dark green VW 4 door car to drive. Kurt is being adventurous, and his license should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I will have lots of posts about our future road trips.

I slept quite well my first night here. Kurt wasn't as fortunate. To be continued...

No comments: