Saturday, May 3, 2008

Eating Biscuits


We have picked up a bad habit - trying different kinds of cookies every time we go to the market. They call them biscuits, so I feel like I'm in England having tea time with the Queen. The two rectangular packages are made by NASCO, a Nigerian comapny, which is why they are so much less money. They cost from 45 to 65 naira (50 cents) for 12 to 14 cookies. They are a vanilla sandwich cookie with a thin layer of flavored frosting. Then there are the Digestive Biscuits in the red package that are made in the UK. I thought that maybe they were to eat if you had an upset stomach, which means they shouldn't be fattening. They are thin and are a cross between a vanilla wafer, graham cracker and the cookies that Delta Airlines gives out, but less sweet than any of those. Our new finds yesterday were the two back packages called Fourre' by a company named Hellema. The ingredients are listed on the package in 12 different languages, and I think they are from Belgium. They cost 270 naira and are a sandwich cookie with chocolate frosting and are similar to the digestives. We bought one package that is a vanilla cookie and one that is a chocolate cookie. I haven't sampled it yet. My last find was a Butter Crinkle Crunch biscuit made by Fox's Biscuits in West Yorkshire. They were pricey at 480 naira. These are definitely my favorite, which proves the old adage that you get what you pay for. I think I had better lay off the biscuits for a while or I'll be proof of another old saying - a moment on the lips and a lifetime on the hips.

No comments: